Calculating harmonised colours

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Mon Dec 19 18:08:36 EST 2005

Eric,

I hope you don't mind if I reproduce here some links I shared on another
newsgroup (comp.databases.filemaker) for determining complementary colors.
In some cases, it can be quite educational to review the JavaScript code for
these pages.

I think that as a general approach, you probably want to convert to HSL,
figure out your colors, then convert back to RGB.

Formulas for this can be found at:

http://www.easyrgb.com/math.php?MATH=M19#text19

Here are links to other color calculators:
-----

http://www.colormatch.dk/
http://meddle.dzygn.com/tests/colors/

A very easy, elegant, visual tool that returns six complementary colors. The
first link is the original gem, the second one provides RGB values and
precise color entry.

-----

http://wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html

Offers five different styles of color matching

-----

http://www.december.com/html/spec/colorschemer.html

Offers six different styles of matching, plus a nice preview of a formatted
page using the colors. (Requires the free Adobe SVG viewer plug-in from
http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/main.html)

-----

http://www.webwhirlers.com/colors/colorwizard.asp

Offers seven different matches of color (but requires entry of hex values)

-----

http://www.hypergurl.com/colormatch.php

Another color mixer that supplies nine compatible colors. (Try clicking on
the "Load predefined theme" popup menu and using the scroll wheel on your
mouse.)

-----

http://colorblender.com/

A very easy to use blender that will also suggest PANTONE(R) colors.

-----

For an in-depth look at the theory behind color schemes, and why you might
want to use one style of color matching over another, check out:

http://www.december.com/html/spec/colorhslhexuse.html

Bill

"Eric Chatonet"
<eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com> wrote in