App code protection options?

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 16:21:37 EST 2005

> So, suppose a guy came up with something that could be really HUGE,
> market-wise. Is there a procedure, policy, method for protecting stack code
> to keep from being stolen blind? Say, release only as compiled executables,
> munge transcript code within the executable, encrypt associated files... or
> any other paranoid devices?  Apps built on other platforms have protection
> options, but none of them are cross-platform. For instance, I use Armadillo
> registration key systems for applications for Windows, but have no way to
> provide for that function cross-platform.

When you build an app in Rev, the binary file can be opened in a text
editor and the scripts and any text based properties can be read. If
you password-protect the stack as part of the build process, this
cannot be done, so that is the first stage in protection.

As regards registration codes, there have been several discussions
about these in the past, but I don't remember them in any detail.
Search the archives and I'm sure you will find some useful stuff.

Cheers,
Sarah