Png versus jpeg (was: Re: Image resolution)

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Sat Dec 17 15:07:33 EST 2005

Hi Marty,

Chipp and others have given you very good advice.
I just want to draw your attention to the relative weights of images
saved as png or jpeg.
Png are a lot heavier depending on the jpeg compression.
For instance, png is about 2.5 x uncompressed jpeg and if you choose
a moderate compression it comes up to 5 or 6.
That's a lot.  You could take this into consideration :-)

Now another thing: jpeg does not allow transparency but you can, in
many situations, use a workaround:
1. You make a png with transparency, a dropped shadow for instance.
2. You superimpose it on your background.
3. You save the whole image as jpeg.
When the image will be displayed, the user will not see that you have
also replaced the part of the background where is your dropped
shadow :-)

Best Regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet
http://www.sosmartsoftware.com/    eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com/