Debugging and the execution path

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Sat Dec 17 10:50:45 EST 2005

Folks, for years I've been debugging Rev projects with what I now
realise is a rather poor subset of the available facilities:
basically I have set breakpoints, stepped through code using the
debugger, and looked at variables using the Variable Watcher.

Now however I have a tricky 'how did I get here?' type of question
which involves me wanting to know the caller of a particular handler,
and the caller of the caller etc. I think this may perhaps be
accomplished by using the undocumented executionContexts which has
been written about recently. So far, I've noticed that at the top of
the Variable Watcher window there is a dropdown list which may be a
form of this: it gives the names of the objects in which scripts
leading to the breakpoint were executed, and a line number in each.
It doesn't contain the names of any handlers, and AFAIK I can't
display line numbers in scripts, so this is of limited use in a
really large script. In the RR docs the description of the variable
watcher is not long, to say the least, and I don't think there's a
tutorial about it either.

Can anyone point me at a more in-depth description of the debugging
facilities of Rev?

TIA

Graham