Heather: It's time for a Forum. (And an answer!)

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Thu Dec 15 15:44:37 EST 2005

I for one think the list works just fine. I use rev a fair amount and
find it useful as is, newbie questions, flame wars, and all. the digest
mode allows a quick scan of stuff and tracking threads I am interested
in is no real problem for me at least. I understand the benefits of
forums, but for my use of rev this list (and the metacard list before
that) has done me fine going on probably 9 years now. I actually pickup
part way into threads when scanning the digest list that i would not
see in the forum mode. As Richard pointed out the forum interfaces for
the current list posts looks to work well if you want a forum front end
on it. Newbies, focused, or casual could always approach the list from
one of these interfaces to see only responses to their threads.

sorry to be the curmudgeon, but prefer keeping things the same for now,
i dont think its really broken, so dont go trying to fix it...

Also have to add in light of the flame wars of late that metacard/rev
has been the best supported product by both the companies that have
owned/distributed it and by the list group here. I realize this support
level has set expectations high for rev, and I think we tend to get a
bit spoiled sometimes and try to push the bar a bit too high for them.
compare rev support with most of the big and little software
vendors/products out there and you will see. go have a problem with an
adobe or macromedia product, have fun... I think we need to step back a
second hear and take a deep breath and see whats reasonable and easy to
do since disrupting this list which, IMHO, works very well for now. I
think the recent events have just gotten folks a bit riled and not
really been a systemic problem that needs a fixin'. Yes things can
always be better, but at some point the effort goes up exponentially to
make improvements and the risk of mucking up things that were working
fine at an acceptable level goes way up.

one final comment on the flame wars of recent, i have seen this happen
on a number of different lists in the last year. I have been using
lists for like 25 years now since grad school when we were doing them
on darpa net accounts and flame wars have always erupted. But in the
last year its been much more unruly on a number of different lists
(from professional to hobby) that i have been on for a long while. I'm
not quite sure what is causing this behavior all of a sudden. I hope it
is not a shift in society going online and not behaving as they would
if you were talking face to face. On some lists i have seen folks say
things or in ways or with words that would cause an instant poke in the
nose by many people if said to their faces.

any how, finally just had to put my 1.5 cents into the bowl...

cheers,

jeff reynolds

On Dec 15, 2005, at 11:52 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com