debugger problem

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Wed Dec 14 16:44:52 EST 2005

Sorry to be tedious. I keep mentioning this on the list. It may nor
may not apply to you.

This is exactly what happens when you try to debug a background
script. I've reported it to Bugzilla. It is easily replicated.

I haven't seen it happen in any other kind of script... Except... If
you're debugging a script that steps into a handler in the bg script,
then the debug buttons disappear and the script runs to completion,
leaving the user in a state of perplexity. I've seen this only in
Macintosh. I don't know if it happens in XP, too.

I'm curious. Might this apply to you?

If so, there are at least two workarounds. One is that the debugger
works okay on bg scripts if, and only if, you are on the first page
of the background.

Second, in many cases, though not all, background scripts can be
moved to the stack script without modification. I think HyperCard
retreads -- like me -- are more accustomed to putting scripts in
backgrounds.

Also, I have heard that alternate debuggers or script editors are
available. I don't how what they're called, where to find them, or
how well they work. I understand the alternate debuggers do not have
this flaw.

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Tim