MVC (was Text database using custom properties)

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Wed Dec 14 12:48:23 EST 2005

Dan, Dave,

Interesting. I've used MVC concepts without knowing what it was! ;)

Until I read Wiki! I love that thing!

Did the same thing with Xanadu... I thought I had an original idea
developping modular CMS stacks in HyperCard back in 1980s but now
this is really taking a dimension of it's own.

That's the Tao, you know you're on the path or not ;)

The thing about MVC is that it is an excellent coding practice
that applies well to rev. OK, I've never coded MVC compliant
anything but from the wiki page, that's pretty much the attitude
I take in TAOO or any other stack which is to do the IO, GUI and
ouput as modular, hence as independent and disparate from the
other.

For example: if you make an import button or add an Import menuitem
in your gui. Or why not do both? And hop, you need to have one
handler, not different functions in the button and menu...

Another day, another stack, another import feature. Do you reuse
that import function you used the first time or make a new one?

Somewhere, things work the same everywhere - the OOP phylosophy
helps us make that work better in Rev. Yes, not the same way as
in C++ or real OOP languages. But Object Based Programming is
definitely not less efficient. And Xtalk has it's object oriented
tricks that defy C++ logic :)

As the wiki page said, there remains bounds where MVC is or not
so good. Optimal Rev coding with Object or patterns is not alien
to rev.

But don't try to apply them as if rev was C++ or smalltalk.

keep the good in C or ST but please use the better in rev to
make them better - C or ST compatibility is not the point - we
work at a higher level in rev - lower level objects and higher
level objects can mix but not the same...

That's the key advantage to separating objects (rev objects) into
a class of it's own. Naturally dependencies cannot be avoided but
in releasing the XOSMediaLib, I had no trouble integrating parts
of a larger framework with distributed classes into my stack.

Copy paste and hop!

And this little action is just like compiling C apps the old way
with Make! And I could automate it too - but foo the scripting
time ;)...

Pieces of gui with a logic of their own across different
applications or cloning features across heterogeneous
applications dealing with different objects - is in anyway
you look at them just fields, buttons and media in an interface.

If the gui parts all speak the same language, you soon have some
kind of synergy... I call it TAOO ;) It's not that simple but
that's the principle "way" of doing things ;)

MVC seems nice... adequate and antiquated in some cases too...
But it enforces better coding practices such as portability,
maintainability and other ility qualities of good software.

I sure learned a lot from these 3 letters in just this week! ;)

Thanks for bringing it up and showing me some light in my project's
architecture... Something I can relate to or relate to others...

cheers
Xavier

http://monsieurx.com/taoo