Recent Development on the Use-LIst

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Wed Dec 14 11:27:15 EST 2005

Dear all,

Different group of users may have different needs. Forums don't mean
you have to check out all forums independently. Nowadays forums
offer the possibility to forward all posts directly to your mailing
program. Persons who prefer to read everything wouldn't be
disadvantaged in *ANY* way (they only have to set up email forward
for all lists). They will receive all posts exactly the same way they
do now. Persons who prefer not to have to read everything everyday
would find the new format easier to manage.

Also, with different forums we solve the problem of prefixing as even
if you receive the posts by email, hitting the reply key guarantees
that your reply is sent to all persons interested in it and is not
sent to the persons not interested in it. I am in digest mode and
prefixing doesn't offer a good solution to me as prefixes are
difficult to identify in the digest format.

To help in this debate, can I ask you all to specify how important
Revolution is in your day job. Please indicate whether you spend most
of the day developing RunRev-based applications or not. Requests for
structuration and forums usually come from (1) newcommers (who don't
want to have to ALL posts every published on the use-rev list) and
(2) non commercial users who don't have 1-2 hours a day to spend
reading the posts on this list.

The idea is to find a solution that works for a large majority of
persons. Not a solution that works for "you" as a single individual.

Marielle

> Dan's earlier suggestion seem eminently simple
> "OT:" works for me... I can't deal with more than one mailing list.

--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist

Alternative emails: mlange at blueyonder.co.uk, M.Lange at ed.ac.uk
Homepage