[Not so OT] MS Office UI Developments

xavier.bury at clearstream.com xavier.bury at clearstream.com
Wed Dec 14 04:16:19 EST 2005

Scott,

that's funny, we had a meeting with our MS TAM (tech. account mgr) for our
MS support contract.
His presentation was made in Office 12 beta (never crashed) - and his
words struck me as quite
funny - MS imposes new products on the poor MS employees PC - "they should
eat their own dog
food" he said was the inhouse policy...

We just saw powerpoint's UI briefly before the presentation he made. The
UI is definitely simpler
although some things seemed out of place (tabs in toolbars for example).

My feeling remains the same, it was nothing we couldn't do in rev ;)

Menus with a WinXP or newer UI do need a custom stack menu approach but it
is not impossible.

What is missing in rev is making that menu stack API a bit more
interactive or rev-event capable
so we can add revolutionaries' intelligence ;)

just a thought
---------------------=---------------------
Xavier Bury
Clearstream Services
TNS NT LAN Server

use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com wrote on 14/12/2005 09:11:03:

> Tonight the local CHI meeting, I listened to a presentation by Jensen
> Harris, a key designer behind the new Microsoft Office user interface.
He
> presented a history of Word and Office and how it evolved into Office
2003,
> and then went into a live demo of the new office apps sporting the
ribbon
> interface and contextual interaction.  Mr. Harris acknowledged they (MS)
are
> taking a risk in changing the UI/interaction of the apps.  And it was
great
> to hear someone so close to the project speak in detail about how it's
> supposed to work and why they chose to do what they're doing.
>
> A couple of things jumped out at me while watching the presentation:
>
> 1) the Runtime guys were on a similar track with their
> somewhat-context-sensitive inspector thing (but there are way too many
> sub-level choices to be made in the palette)
>
> 2) the fact that Rev developers can create rich menus by using stacks
would
> seem to bode well for a future of making apps that run alongside the
Office
> experience (regardless of how valid you think MS's UI direction is)
>
> In the last few minutes of his talk, Mr. Harris demoed a UI treatment
that I
> personally find very interesting and appealing: a floating contextual
> palette of sorts.  Initially it comes up ghosted (translucent),
positioned
> out of the way from the item you are editing; the palette gets more
opaque
> as you mouse toward it, and becomes more transparent as you mouse away
from
> it.  Pretty cool stuff.
>
> There were a lot of good points made, and one that was quite refreshing
> hear:
>
>   "Remove to simplify."
>
> I wrote down a bunch of points that seemed like they might worth
posting,
> but Mr. Harris also has a blog where you can read his personal comments
> about development of the project: http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design
> -----
> E: scott at tactilemedia.com
> W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

To make communications with Clearstream easier, Clearstream has
recently changed the email address format to conform with industry
standards. The new format is 'firstname.familyname at clearstream.com'.

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER