List Splitting - Idea

Heather Nagey heather at runrev.com
Wed Dec 14 03:10:41 EST 2005

Dear list members,

This is a list for discussing how to use revolution. It has always been
a list specifically for this purpose. The bigger the list has got, and
the larger the number of members, the more important it becomes to
stick to this topic, because off topic posts annoy ever larger numbers
of people.

It is a moderated list, and always has been. Historically, this list
has needed very little moderation. I've only ever banned two people,
both for things which were completely unacceptable (advocating piracy
and foul language). Obviously the people on this list are not
automatons who do nothing but program, and from time to time opinions
will be expressed on various matters, but by and large they have been
expressed amicably, and kept sufficiently short that no real action is
needed.

I'm beginning to feel that the list needs more active moderation. For
whatever reason, the spirit of the list appears to be rather scratchy
at the moment, and the signal to noise ratio is dropping.

If you want to discuss politics, religion, how to run a business or how
not to run a business, free speech, or any other topic that is not
directly in keeping with the clearly stated aim of this list, please
take it elsewhere. Otherwise I am going to start putting people on
moderation, so that the rest of the group can continue to use the list
for what it is intended for.

Warm Regards,

Heather

On 13 Dec 2005, at 21:25, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 15:07:06 -0500
> From: "Mathewson" <richmond at mail.maclaunch.com>
> Subject: List Splitting - Idea
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>
> Frankly, as moderator of the 'rev-biz' list and the starter
> of the 'RRGraphix' list, I can honestly say that I would
> rather everything was all in the one list.
>
> BUT . . .
>
> Having been banned from this list from close on 2 years -
> because I expressed an opinion (that many others thought
> but didn't express) - and having seen something of a
> similar sort coming the way of some posters from the RR
> staff - I thought that it better to hive off lists than get
> banned again . . .
> <snip>

> sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

Heather Nagey, Customer Support Manager