"use-rev" means "using Rev" (was 10,000 other threads)

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Tue Dec 13 08:23:15 EST 2005

> Part of 'using' (in terms of the use-list) Rev really does
> encompass why what's there isn't useful.

My point of view too. I however also agree with Richard that the list
provided to us by the RunRev Ltd company is not necessarily the best
place to discuss of this. What we have to be aware of, however, is
that we have a very wide spectrum of users on this list. That
everybody has the same interests or should have the same, politically
speaking is a wrong assumption. You will have noticed that the
professional users, in contrast, tend to express good to high levels
of satisfaction.  We are free to do whatever we want. But we are not
necessarily free to do it right in front of the nose of persons who
said they were not interested in this kind of discussion/initiatives.
This would only bring tension and disperse the energy we have to
give. It would be an excessively bad decision too, to start to
antagonize the group of professional users against the not for profit
ones or the other way around. Let's keep this list for what it does
best, exchange of coding tips. Let's create subgroups to discuss
strategies that are relevant only to these subgroups.

But then there is the issue that if we go to a yahoo group, many
persons won't get a chance to join the discussion. Yahoo groups are
not that usable, yahoo groups require a login, yahoo groups are
distributed all over the net and are about impossible to find for a
new user. Yahoo groups are not searched by google (at least I
couldn't find matches when I copied/paste a few lines from posts
there).  So, in a sense, discussing on yahoo group is a good way to
encourage us to procrastinate and have discussions that lead to
little concrete results and to have us pass for bastards interested
in nothing but criticising RunRev management options. All the more if
what is proposed to discuss of is what RunRev should do (that they
won't) rather than what *WE* users could do to improve our lot.

discuss runrev business issues or <http://revolution.lexicall.org/
wiki/tiki-view_forum.php?forumId=9> to discuss on the need to have
sublists and where to have them, use as you prefer.

Marielle

--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist

Alternative emails: mlange at blueyonder.co.uk, M.Lange at ed.ac.uk