You're Right -- It was HARSH

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Dec 12 21:31:09 EST 2005

On 12/12/05 8:04 PM, "Judy Perry" <jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu> wrote:

> I don't think that setting up three or four or five (or ???) more
> separate rev-lists is going to change things markedly on the use list.
> Sure, the ueber-geeks just want to read clever code solutions and leave
> the stupid newbie questions to waste someone _else's_ time and
> productivity.  The clueless newbie's don't want to wade through obtuse
> coding challenges to figure out how to put a button on a card and they
> really don't want to be made to feel stupid.

Actually, Judy, it really has nothing to do with newbies or not - it had to
do with a thread that ended up talking about how RunRev ought to run their
company. And while interesting at first, it became something that really
belonged on another list, as the Use-Rev list is about using Revolution, not
about marketing it.

I for one am *glad* to have newbies on the list, because whenever I see
someone post who hasn't posted before, that shows that the Rev user base ie
expanding. And as they ask questions and get more knowledgeable, they in
turn evangelize to others and even more newbies appear. And so it goes.

Additionally, questions asked by newbies (and non-newbies) may seem to an
experienced developer to have a "simple" answer, but by the time the thread
is over, *everyone* has gotten something out of it (different approaches,
more efficient ways to do the same thing, "gotchas" that we should be aware
of, etc.).

So it is valuable to have all levels of experience post to this list - but
if it doesn't have anything to do with using Revolution, it belongs
somewhere else, IMHO, and I'm glad Richard set up a group to continue the
discussions about how Rev can be marketed, and suggestions to RunRev on what
they should do.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software