DMX Stage lighting

Jerry J jhj at jhj.com
Mon Dec 12 20:25:21 EST 2005

> From: Stephen Barncard <stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com>

>  From the little I know about stage lighting - they use a dc voltage
> (0-10v) to control dimmers. So to begin, you'd need an A-D controller
> that can work with REV, such as the one describe earlier last week:

One whole bunch of dimmers I control, in a big house, use 0-10VDC per
dimmer which we make in other ways. Another whole bunch of dimmers I
control, in a theater, can use DMX-512. That is a looped, multiplexed,
time-divided system (each device has an address (0-511) that determines
its time slot. For all I know, common DMX-512 interfaces may have
0-10VDC outputs.

Like Stephen says, its pretty easy to get at MIDI if you can do serial.
Old mac serial ports could do it directly, but I haven't since.

-- Jerry Jensen