Embedding images and movies in a standalone

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Dec 11 22:06:25 EST 2005

I would confirm this old windows bug... here's another way to state
this case:

  if your installer puts your main app on "top" of the  CD's
"desktop" (CD root) and a folder with media next to it and you burn
this to CD, then there's a very good chance that the primary
"relative path" script you normally put in a preopenstack hander

global gPathStem

on preopenstack

         put the filename of this stack into "gPathStem"

end preopenstck

##and refs to media in buttons like:

on mouseup
     set the filename of player 1 to (gtPathStem & \
         "/media_folder/movies/someMovie.mov"
     start player 1
end mouseup

WILL NOT WORK on some windows machines... it *does* work on the Mac.

Try putting the main app and the media folder inside another folder
and burn this... down side is only that the user must click once on
the folder and then again on your main app icon... but then the same
script as noted above does work...whether run from CD or if the whole
folder is copied to the hard drive... if that does not work for you,
then you know you hit the above mentioned bug in your first
architecture. It's tricky because if your user is virgo (very
organized) and he copies the contents of the CD to some new folder he
created, then it *will* work... but you don't have control over
that... lot's of users will try to run it straight off the CD, if you
have no installation set up...and then it's very likely to fail...
not sure if this bug still pertains to latest Windows versions or
not. Note... it's not a Rev problem ( I had a certified windows
"repair man" breaking his head on this same problem with some other
window programs and applications...we only here serendipitously
discovered the solution... about 5 years ago...)

Sivakatirswami