Why did HyperCard wither away? [was: Re: Why is Konfabulator

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sat Dec 10 17:53:39 EST 2005

Howdy,

> Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:38:42 -0500
> From: "Mathewson" <richmond at mail.maclaunch.com>
> Subject: Why did HyperCard wither away? [was: Re: Why is Konfabulator
> 	'Pretty?']

> open a channel of communication with
> Bill Atkinson - the man deserves it, dammit, he started all
> this!

 From what I've seen and been able to gather, he inclines to interviews
on occasion, declines the rest, on purpose, but he's done with
programming (made all the moolah he needs), doesn't want or need the
pressure, and loves his digital photography, which he has the freedom
to do his own way. I see it as a kind of retirement gig, like I'm doing
with music and sound engineering. I think the current state of sottware
development is a place he might give advice to (one never truly quits
100%, I suppose), but I doubt any other form of participation.

One might consider that he has paid his dues, doesn't owe anyone
(although he's a fairly humble guy and might not say that), so I'd say
find another guru who isn't retired, and let the guy rest on his
laurels, if that's his desire.

All the best,
Ken N.