Embedding images and movies in a standalone

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Dec 10 13:17:31 EST 2005

Paul Malloy wrote:
> I have created a large project to teach brain imaging, with hundreds of
> images and a few Quicktime movies. When I build a standalone, all the images
> appear when I run the Mac version, but there are only gray placeholders on
> Windows. I used the Image tool on the Tools palette and indicated a path to
> the image in the Object Inspector.
>
> I assumed that the images would be embedded in the project when it was
> compiled as an app. Apparently this does not occur unless you use File
> menu>Import as control. I hope I do not have to redo the hundreds of images
> in this manner. I am correct in my understanding and is there a work-around?
> And why just on Windows?
>
> Thanks in advance.

If you indicate a file path, then the images are not embedded, they are
read from disk dynamically (and with that many images, it is the best
way to do it, so you did the right thing.) Only importing as a control
will embed them. What I believe has happened is that your file paths
point to specific places on your Mac drive, and those paths don't exist
on your Windows machine. You can check this by looking at the file path
for an image that does not show up on Windows, and comparing it to the
file structure on disk on your Windows machine. If this is the problem,
then your images probably won't show up on anyone else's machine either,
regardless which OS it is running.

If this is the problem, then you'll need to revise the paths to all the
images, I'm afraid. You can script a utility handler to make the process
more automated. If you need help with that, let us know, but first
verify that this is really the problem. I'm betting it is, though.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com