Moving images with other visual effects on top

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Dec 9 15:30:29 EST 2005

OK I changed the subject of this thread as we are moving from
windowshape issues to visual effect-animation issues.

Before I completely bail on this (I see so many beautiful things that
Scott does....)  I'm hoping you can all take a look at it yourselves...

I uploaded to user space "Sivakatirswami" or category "General" a stack:

HT Digital

check it out.

I'm not applying any visual effect to the move... but am applying
those effects to the titles that fall on top of the image that is
moving, while is is moving.

So we have two issues that seem independent.

SMOOTH MOVE:

even with no titles on top.. this move animation:

  move img "world_map.png" from 465,240 to 195,240 in 3 seconds
without waiting

is jerky... am I doing something wrong?

VISUAL EFFECTS ON TOP OF MOVING IMAGE

Well, you will just need to see that stack to understand the
problem... If this is not solveable (= Rev can't do it) then I will
just reverse display order: expose the titles first, then bring in
the map underneath and move it. This is just pure eye candy
(targetting  a younger audience...I may even throw in some sound...)
so there's nothing mission critical to the order of implementation.

But even in this latter strategy... the map will still jerk across
the screen... Is this normal for move? I thought it was smooth, at
least I remember it being smooth...I haven't done any eye candy UI's
for a couple of years... maybe the "relative" from current position
to new position works better?

 From previous post: (see stack script)

We are not talking rocket science animation here:

on preopenstack
   set the windowshape of this stack to 1010
   set the loc of this stack to the screenloc
   set the loc of img "world_map.png" to 465,240
   hide img "ht_title.png"
   hide img "ht_logo.png"
   hide img "ht_digital.png"
   hide img"world_map.png"
end preopenstack

on openstack

   show img"world_map.png" with visual effect iris open fast
# the above actual pokes a hole momentarily in the interface
# and my desktop shows thru during the iris open action.
# not intended but an interesting effect...and possibly
# could be considered a "bug" since the windowshape image is
# not transparent in the middle....

   move img "world_map.png" from 465,240 to 195,240 in 3 seconds
without waiting
# this is horrible, the map "jerks" across the window...

   show img "ht_logo.png" with visual effect reveal down slowly
   show img "ht_title.png" with visual effect wipe down slowly
# more incredibly bad results, flicker, double images, grey boxes
appearing...

   show img "ht_digital.png"

end openstack

Thanks for taking the time to check it out