Why is Konfabulator 'Pretty?'

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Dec 9 14:19:30 EST 2005

> You have two products for two different markets.
> We educators/hobbyists would like dreamcard to be distributed for
> free across the world. Professionals like Richard, Chipp and Ken and
> others are worried about keeping their competitive advantage and have
> the tool remain expensive and relatively unknown (at the very least
> maintain the existence of a cost of switching via the license fee and
> time to learn).

As Richard stated his position on this, I'll state mine as well. I'm not
concerned about competitive advantage at all, and won't be until RunRev
becomes as popular as JavaScript (one of my hopes!). :-)

Personally I don't think of Rev as a $99 tool (even without standalone
building capabilities). It's worth far more to me than that. Ten years ago,
I saw it as a $995 tool (which is why I bought into it then), but that was
when other tools of its ilk were as high priced. Personally I see it as a
$595 tool (or maybe $495) - expensive enough that the profit margins are
high so that more money can be spent on further development. At $99, there
is very little profit margin relative to potential support issues, IMHO.

But since I'm not running the company, it doesn't matter. :-)

Regardless of my *feelings* on this, I would like everyone to know about
Revolution, which is why I have personally trained a handful of people on
the product, and have evangelized it to everyone I know.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com