Why is Konfabulator "Pretty?"

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Thu Dec 8 19:10:00 EST 2005

Marielle,

Bill spurred me on with his wish that REV had a more hip UI. I
thought that a template with some buttonGadget style simplicity and
some guidelines for coding in Rev would pave the way for a series of
simple apps (widgets, dashboards, etc.) I have two projects in the
works right now but have not spec'd them out fully yet. They would
however fit into a scheme like this.

Sometimes like with ArcadeEngine there are so many ideas floating
around but none of them come to the surface. Where as when you start
with a template or sample/example then the overwhelming aspect of a
total design is taken out of the picture. All you have to focus on is
the sparking of the imagination. Once it is sparked, and for me this
happens when looking at other examples although they do not have to
be related at all, I then start going to town with code snippets and
add-ons and new ideas, etc. until the next thing you know a complete
idea has formed and is being spec'd out and detailed and then
finalized. This doesn't always happen this way but it is fun when it
does and a lot of my best stuff started from poking around at an
example of something else and a new idea was born.

Other times I have an idea and spec it out at the onset and proceed
in an orderly fashion until finished. Not as much fun, IMO but
productive none the same.

I would envision a Kit that was the Playground or Sandbox to start
with and there would be templates and such and then as you play
around you might just spark that idea.

HHMMM That's as far as I've gotten.

Tom