Rev and open source (was "What Rev Needs")

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Thu Dec 8 14:45:38 EST 2005

On Dec 8, 2005, at 11:41 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Devin Asay wrote:
>> On Dec 8, 2005, at 10:18 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>> Okay, I'll bite: what exactly is an "open source strategy" for
>>> an  engine which is, and will likely remain, closed-source?
>> A recent experience I had illustrates, I think, what David means.
>> Earlier this year I was writing a room scheduling application in
>> Rev.  One of the features was that people who requested to
>> schedule the  room had to be officially associated with the
>> university. The obvious  answer was our enterprise LDAP server
>> (open source technology). Rev  can't query LDAP directly, but BSD
>> Unix (open source) has a utility  called ldapsearch. PHP (open
>> source) can also do LDAP searches. I  opted for the latter,
>> because that made my project easier to take  cross platform. So I
>> found an open source PHP script that would do  the search and
>> return the results as HTML (an open source protocol).  I deployed
>> the script on our apache web server (open source) and used  a Rev
>> 'get URL <url>' command to grab the results, which I easily
>> parsed in Transcript to get exactly what I needed. When my app
>> verifies, from LDAP, that the requester is officially permitted
>> to  schedule, it records the scheduled event in a mysql database
>> (open  source).
>> I have other Rev apps that have similarly pulled together
>> disparate  technologies quickly and easily into a Rev front end.
>> In my opinion  this is an area in which Rev excels--as a rapid
>> development platform  for writing front ends to other
>> technologies. In effect, Rev  increases the power and reach of the
>> latter, showing itself to be an  easy-to-learn "glue" for open
>> source stuff that's often opaque to non- propeller-heads.
>
> That's a wonderful example, but if I read it correctly it seems you
> were able to do what you needed on your own, without RunRev lifting
> a finger.

The main point is that Rev has the right hooks that make it easy to
pull together into a nice GUI a lot of open source technologies that,
by themselves, are kind of arcane for people like me. :-) It's one of
the things that makes Rev a powerful tool--it makes it easy to
leverage other powerful technologies with no modifications out of the
box.

I think it's a story we could do a better job telling, just like we
can do a better job of pointing out how Rev is a better platform for
creating web-based applications than any web browser. For instance, I
don't think I'll ever have my students create desktop-based
applications in my advanced Rev development class any more. Instead,
everything we build will be web-deployed. Of course, what that means
is I don't really have to change anything, since any stack can be
launched from a web server using just a minimal launcher app on the
desktop. The only change is presentation. Who knows, maybe I can even
entice some of the students away from our always-full PHP class.
("Learn rapid web app development with Revolution! Small classes, no
waiting!") ;-)

> For myself, that's the sort of solution I prefer as well:  the
> fewer the cooks the sweeter the broth. I don't run their company
> and they don't run mine, and we both like it like that.

I just appreciate Rev letting me borrow from other cooks' pots when
I'm cooking.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University