Rev and open source (was "What Rev Needs")

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 8 13:41:30 EST 2005

Devin Asay wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2005, at 10:18 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Okay, I'll bite: what exactly is an "open source strategy" for an
>> engine which is, and will likely remain, closed-source?
>
> A recent experience I had illustrates, I think, what David means.
> Earlier this year I was writing a room scheduling application in Rev.
> One of the features was that people who requested to schedule the  room
> had to be officially associated with the university. The obvious  answer
> was our enterprise LDAP server (open source technology). Rev  can't
> query LDAP directly, but BSD Unix (open source) has a utility  called
> ldapsearch. PHP (open source) can also do LDAP searches. I  opted for
> the latter, because that made my project easier to take  cross platform.
> So I found an open source PHP script that would do  the search and
> return the results as HTML (an open source protocol).  I deployed the
> script on our apache web server (open source) and used  a Rev 'get URL
> <url>' command to grab the results, which I easily  parsed in Transcript
> to get exactly what I needed. When my app  verifies, from LDAP, that the
> requester is officially permitted to  schedule, it records the scheduled
> event in a mysql database (open  source).
>
> I have other Rev apps that have similarly pulled together disparate
> technologies quickly and easily into a Rev front end. In my opinion
> this is an area in which Rev excels--as a rapid development platform
> for writing front ends to other technologies. In effect, Rev  increases
> the power and reach of the latter, showing itself to be an
> easy-to-learn "glue" for open source stuff that's often opaque to non-
> propeller-heads.

That's a wonderful example, but if I read it correctly it seems you were
able to do what you needed on your own, without RunRev lifting a finger.

For myself, that's the sort of solution I prefer as well:  the fewer the
cooks the sweeter the broth. I don't run their company and they don't
run mine, and we both like it like that.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal