custom password dialogue

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Tue Dec 6 12:37:19 EST 2005

Hi Bill,

Would be a very elegant and "short coding" solution if I had not the
time to read the letters that are typed (Mac OS)
Then you have to use a rawKeyDown handler (or KeyDown + deleteKey)
and it becomes another story...
But the idea is very good: completely cross-platform :-)

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 6 déc. 05 à 18:13, Bill Marriott a écrit :

> You'll need to make your own window, as the dialog presented by "ask
> password" is not customizable beyond the prompt text. But, there is no
> built-in "Password" style for fields.
>
> Here is what I thought was a very simple solution to that:
>
> 1) Include a tiny image (such as a 10x10 pixel padlock) in your
> stack. I
> named mine "tinyPadlock."
>
> 2) Attach this script to the field used for password entry:
>
> on keyUp
>     -- enable masking of password during entry
>     lock messages
>     lock screen
>     repeat with i = 1 to the number of characters in me
>         if the imagesource of char i of me is not "tinyPadlock" then
>             set the imagesource char i of me to "tinyPadlock"
>         end if
>     end repeat
>     unlock messages
>     pass keyUp
> end keyUp
>
> This handles whatever someone might do in the field, masks their
> input, and
> still allows you to access the content of the field as if the password
> masking was not used.
>
> I put a small sample file up on Rev Online so you can see how it
> works.
>
> User: MerryOtter
> Stack: Easy Passwords

So Smart Software