List etiquette and mechanics

Heather Nagey heather at runrev.com
Tue Dec 6 10:37:55 EST 2005

Dear List Members,

It has been a long time since I did one of these posts. Apologies, in a
world of many hats its sometimes hard to find time to wear my listmom
one (pink, with feathers and cherries).

So, here are some basics about how this list works.

Firstly, the list only knows you are a member by the email address you
signed up with. It doesn't know your name, or your profession, or
recognise you from the style of your posts or the clothes you wear. If
you have more than one email address, and you post from one that is not
subscribed, your post will be held for approval by the moderator (me).
Approval can take several days, depending on how busy I am. If you
repost during this time from your subscribed address, then when I come
along and approve your perfectly legitimate post, it will appear in the
list as a duplicate, days late and long after you have all the answers
and the thread is dead. What is the solution to this problem? It's
really quite simple. I highly recommend you subscribe all your email
addresses, and then set your preferences to "no mail" for all but one
of the addresses. That way, it doesn't matter where you post from, and
you won't receive duplicate postings from the list (a daunting prospect
given the activity on this list these days). There may be a few
incredibly organised individuals with flawless memories who never,
ever, post accidentally from the wrong address, but I haven't met any
of them yet... :) To subscribe, unsubscribe and change your
preferences, visit

Any problems, drop me a line either at support at runrev.com or
see them and unsubscribe you, or I may be too busy to respond promptly.
Most such requests will be automatically filtered by the list software
anyway, and will not get you off this list.

Secondly, this list exists to discuss Revolution. Not the kind with
swords and bullets, but the software product with which you can do so
many amazing and creative things, with a little help from your friends.
This is where you post when you don't know how to do something, or
you've forgotten, or it didn't work as expected and you're not sure
why. It is also a place for genuinely constructive criticism on
occasion, which believe it or not is actually appreciated by the team
and used (eventually) to make the Revolution experience even better.
However, it's not the best place to report bugs - there is no guarantee
that anyone in the engineering team will read it, or if they do that
they will remember your bug. Bugzilla is the place, and is proving a
highly effective mechanism for getting bugs dealt with.
http://support.runrev.com/bugzilla. The list is not for discussing
politics or pandas. It's definitely not the place to air your views on
personalities.

Thirdly, to get the best out of this list, remember to be polite. Even
if you don't feel polite at the time, posting something that could be
construed as insulting on the list is never productive. It's very easy
to miscontrue or be misconstrued when your only medium is text. We
can't see your face, we don't know you're smiling. Use smileys, say
please and thankyou, read your post over before you hit send, and if
you know in your heart that tomorrow you will regret it, leave it in
your drafts folder for 24 hours before sending. Then delete it... If
you have to have a war, have it privately please, there are many many
people on this list who basically don't want to know. In the case of a
flame war breaking out, please don't join in. However much you want to
and however justified your point. If you must say something, you can
send it to me, off list. If you have a genuine problem with Revolution,
that only the company can solve, please write to support, not to the
list. Folks here can't give you a refund, or deal with your ordering
issues, the address you want is support at runrev.com.

Finally, the members of this community should all give themselves a
huge thankyou and a pat on the back. You are great people and a
wonderful community. You give freely of your time and creativity to
help others and it is immensely appreciated. I hope it continues to be
a warm, friendly and helpful community far into the future of
Revolution.

Warm Regards,

Heather

Heather Nagey, Customer Support Manager