Dan Winkler (was: Times Change.... and often for the better)

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 18:41:11 EST 2005

When Dan left Apple, he went to General Magic, a company that created some
seriously cool portable technology with a very nicely thought-out user
interface. GE (or maybe it was AT&T) pulled the plug on the project at some
point and some time later Dan landed at Harvard.

The General Magic story -- a very intriguing saga also starring Bill
Atkinson, BTW -- is summarized nicely in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Magic

(BTW and FWIW, I think Winkler "developed" HyperTalk which was Bill A's
original idea/baby. At least that's what I recall from the few conversations
I had with the two over the early years of HyperCard.)