CoreAudio

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Mon Dec 5 11:49:07 EST 2005

That's a big one - you might need externals for this...and a realtime
audio coder if you can't do it. Do you know if Digidesign has an
easily available SDK? Have you seen it? Are you sure you can get it?
Surely you can't expect REV to support something this unique
natively. The Digi developer scene is highly controlled - you might
contact them before investing too much time before.

However....

 From the little technically I've discovered about CoreAudio (although
I'm a major TDM system user) Coreaudio just seems to 'patch' third
party apps in the audio streams system controlled by the OS. Latest
versions of Core seem to address 8 or more channels.

So theoretically if you can use the proper hooks for audio inside the
OS, then 'core' should work. It's a Digidesign shim to connect with
Apple, while still putting limits on third-party hardware, nothing
more. Perhaps you can accomplish some of this with Quicktime, which
now includes stuff for multiple channels.

Consider that  a little 002 system can be used for surround playback,
even if the 'little' Digi systems don't support surround mixing.

Also remember that CoreAudio can only work when PT is not running. I
am not sure if it will support more than 1 third party app at a time
either...and it won't send system sounds to the output -- that's a
good thing.

sqb

--
stephen barncard