show vs visible

Marty Billingsley marty at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Sun Dec 4 09:35:31 EST 2005

"Preston Shea" <darkshadow1 at metrocast.net> writes:

> I get out of my depth pretty easily, so your observation may be going over
> my head:
>
> "But there is a way of setting the property (hide and show) without
> actually referring to the property "visible".  So why can't we
> find out the state of the property without knowing explicitly
> about it, i.e., what the property's name is?  "
>
> Hide and show are verbs (commands) visible is a property with boolean value:
> "If the visible of myObject is false then..." or "If not the visible of
> myObject then..."
> I don't know if you could say this with just "hide"

The adjective that goes along with the verb "hide" is "hidden".
My question was: why can't we ask if an object is hidden?

Basically, I'm saying that if we can use
  hide field "xxx"
instead of having to say
  set the visible of field "xxx" to false
they why can't we say
  if field "xxx" is hidden ...
instead of
  if the visible of field "xxx" is false ...

Just asking if Transcript, which has been made English-like in the
first instance (the setting of the property by using the verb "hide")
can be extended to be English-like in the second instance (accessing
the state of the property by using the adjective "hidden").

  - marty

--
Marty Billingsley (marty at ucls.uchicago.edu)
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools