Visual Programming Using Revolution

Janus Jakaterina nuzoo2 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 3 10:23:18 EST 2005

Greg:

I think that we are looking for a similar solution:

-- drag and drop graphic programming
-- the ability to encapsulate code visually

I would also like the ability to "alias" encapsulated
code so that an alias could be dropped onto another
media element and instantly acquire all the behavior
of the original capsule. That way if you need to make
a large-scale change, adjust the original and all
downstream alias change accordingly. That's the neat
thing about visual OOP. It's not much different than
having master pages in a graphics application.

You mention Axel. A couple weeks ago I mentioned
mTropolis:

"mTropolis used a section, subsection, scene metaphor
(I understand Revolution uses a card metaphor and
Director uses a film metaphor). Every piece of media
is an asset. Drag modifier icons onto assets to give
them functionality, such as sending messages. Set the
parameters of a modifier with a window of pull-down
lists or fields. This concept of programming by
drag-and-drop icons is prevalent in Quickmedia
(http://www.omegaconcept.fr/index.php?oc=52), but what
set mTropolis apart was behaviors, basically
containers of modifiers that permitted complex actions
to be built up. A whole behavior could be switched on
or off or copied to other media (aliasing). Glen
Hunter does a good job of capturing the mTropolis
experience (see
http://www.cbd-hq.com/articles/2000/000501gh_mtropolis.asp):
a component-based development tool. The intuitive
interface and OOP power made development fast and --
get this -- fun. The mTropolis reference guide also
set a standard. You can d/l a copy (4.8 MB) at
http://www.arch.columbia.edu/DDL/cad/AOI/S99/basics/Reference.pdf
and the quick reference quide (260 kB) is at
http://www.arch.columbia.edu/DDL/cad/AOI/S99/basics/Quick_ref.pdf"

A few people responded and, on a separate thread, it
seems that many Revolution users are doing some soul
searching as to why Revolution isn't more popular. A
lot of people have suggestions. Mine -- and I suspect
yours -- would be to create a more visual logic. There
seems to be a resurgence of interest in visual logic.
One of my old favorites may be making a comeback. See
http://www.richardsnotes.org/archives/2005/03/29/chipwits/

If we pay Richard Gaskin's bills for a couple months,
he has offered to crank out an mTropolis look and feel
to Revolution. ; )