Transcript staying English-like [was Re: Why isn't Rev more popular?]

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Sat Dec 3 06:38:44 EST 2005

On  Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:50:53 -0800, Scott Rossi
<scott at tactilemedia.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> but still, the point is that verbose syntax helps in my situation.
> So I'll
> continue to support its use.

Earlier, Scott had written

> I don't know, Charles.  Being a design-as-a-first-language,
> programming-as-a-second-language person, it's *because* of
> TransScript's
> English like syntax that I can get anywhere in the environment.

Just want to say that I come from the opposite end to Scott, since
I'm a programmer from further back than you can imagine (probably)
and I started off practically programming in binary (really it was
octal, but there you go). In those days the programmer had to
translate his ideas into a very awkward, obscure and bug-inducing
language, and it was a pain. Mistakes were rife,  productivity was
low, and it just wasn't enough fun. As a result, I have been in
favour of every advance towards clarity and 'natural language-like'
programming that has occurred since, although I am well aware that
"English-like" is not and never will be, English. Anyway X-talk gets
my vote every time.

OTOH I entirely agree with those sounding a note of caution about
extending X-talk: certainly it should happen, but slowly and with a
great deal of consideration of the pros and cons. I believe there are
other lists for this kind of discussion.

Graham