Why isn't Rev more popular?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Dec 2 20:56:09 EST 2005

Scott Rossi wrote:
> Recently, Scott Rossi wrote:
>
>>I don't know, Charles.  Being a design-as-a-first-language,
>>programming-as-a-second-language person, it's *because* of TransScript's
>>English like syntax that I can get anywhere in the environment.
>>
>>I'd much rather do this:
>>
>>answer the detailed files
>
> (This isn't exactly fair -- I neglected to set the directory first).
>
> In reality, I'm don't know the previous function is completely necessary,
> but still, the point is that verbose syntax helps in my situation.  So I'll
> continue to support its use.

And as your example illustrates, Transcript's so-called "verbosity" is
largely a red herring when you consider the number of lines needed to
accomplish a given task.

The degree of English-like-ness is debatable, for the reasons Mark
Wieder gave.  But whether it's "English-like" or not, being an extremely
high level language sure takes the bit-counting tedium out of
programming, letting us focus on the human side of computing.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal