Why isn't Rev more popular?

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Fri Dec 2 19:35:06 EST 2005

On Dec 2, 2005, at 7:27 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

>> My (young) students find this difficult.  There are many ways in
>> which
>> Transcript could be even more english-like.
>
> Yes, but I'm not sure English is something to strive for. At least we
> don't have any irregular verbs in xtalk.

As a Prof. of English and long-time amateur programmer (but if you
say "hobbyist" in my vicinity I'll bristle) I have to say that I find
the effort toward "English-like" syntax the *least* attractive aspect
of Transcript -- if only because it's potentially the most
misleading: it can make a beginner think the flexibility of a natural
language is available & then feel hurt & bewildered that it isn't.
(For an example, port a Hypercard stack to Rev and look how many
errors pop up that have to be solved by inserting "the" where
Hypertalk didn't require it.)

Charles Hartman