Why isn't Rev more popular?

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Fri Dec 2 15:20:39 EST 2005

Yup, that's the perception alrighty, even among supposedly educated PhD
types.

I remember a few years ago when our campus decided to 'get with' the
computer revolution thingy...

Our department almost wasn't 'allowed' to keep our unix server, used in
teaching and learning, because of the following deeply flawed flow of
logic:

(1) We must standardize on a single platform because that will be cheaper
than supporting two platforms  (unix was never even a consideration,
incidentally) --> arguably true, so we'll go on to the next point:

(2) There are more applications for Windows than any other platform -->
again, arguably true if you're thinking only in terms of Windows vs. Mac

therefore,

(3) Everyone will be standardized on Windows and the only apps we'll allow
are the standard MS apps because those are the apps that everybody uses.
--> Huh?? how did we get from (2) to (3) again???

:-(

Judy