AutoArm Problems

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Dec 2 01:31:28 EST 2005

Aloha Sivakatirswami -

> make standard button... set autoarm to true  it change from round to
> rect! Anyone can confirm this?

Yes.  AutoArm was originally designed for the older menu scheme, in
which menus were implemented as substacks with buttons.  In that
context, AutoArm lets the button automatically hilite when the mouse
passes over it, useful if it's used to present a submenu.

Of course we now have much simpler menuing scheme, and AutoArm has been
recently updated to better serve for use in implementing rollovers:
turn on autoArm, set the armedIcon, and that icon appears when the mouse
is rolled over.  In v2.6.1 (or v2.6, I can't recall) there were subtle
enhancements to autoArm to make the icon state work better in
conjunction with mouseDown.

So autoArm is of little (no?) practical value with the standard button
style, but if you implement custom buttons with icon images (as one
might with, say, Konfabulator <g>), you'll find autoArm very helpful for
quickie simple rollovers.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal