Why isn't Rev more popular? Konfabulator UI

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Dec 2 01:21:16 EST 2005

kee nethery wrote:

>>> The reason  why programs like "Konfabulator" get the attention is
>>> that they  create widgets/programs that look modern/exciting,
>>> almost "by  default." The same look-and-feel can be created with
>>> RunRev, but  it's a lot more difficult.
>>
>> How does Konfabulator make that easier,
>
> You build your UI using Web tools, essentially you are building a
> pretty web page. Graphics, fields, buttons, images, anything you can  do
> with a web page you and use as your Konfabulator UI.
>
> They essentially support the standard webkit display routines and  don't
> bother with the tools that create the UI, Adobe and others do  that
> quite well, no need for them to re-invent it.

Thanks for the info. I never use Konfab myself (nor its clones, Apple's
Widgets and Microsoft's Gadgets), but after attending the WWDC session
on Widgets last year I had a hunch they weren't doing UI tools.

For myself, I love Fireworks so much for making UI elements I can't
imagine using anything else.  I've thought about making Rev-based
alternatives, but I could spend 10 years working toward that and still
not have the Fireworks I can get for just $300. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal