How to Disable the Preference and About Box Items

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Dec 1 18:45:37 EST 2005

>David Burgun wrote:
>>Yes, but this isn't an Apple/Mac problem. I don't care if the
>>preference menu is enabled or disabled, but I want it's visible
>>status to reflect it's state, which is not what happens. I disable
>>then Edit Menu, but the preferences item remains enabled, BUT it
>>won't generate a menuPick event.
>>
>>This effectively mean that you cannot disable the edit or help
>>menu's under MacOS X!
>
>Under what circumstances would you want to remove the user's access
>to Preferences or Help?

I don't!

I want the Edit Menu Disabled, the Preference item isn't in the Edit
menu! It shows as enabled in the Applications Menu, but, disabling
the edit menu stops the menuPick message from being sent (to either
the Edit or Help Buttons), so whe you select preferences it does
nothing!

It just comes from the way in which RunRev defines the Prefs and
About items, e.g. defining them and using the scripts in Edit and
Help menu, but the actual items are in the Applications menu.

All the Best
Dave