pro and hobbyist --- a distinction without merit

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 18:44:36 EST 2005

John.....

You may find the distinction unhelpful but a lot of us find it useful, not
just in this community but throughout the world of software development.

I don't use the word "hobbyist" because I think that narrows the space too
much. I coined the term "Inventive User" several years ago to describe this
type of user. There are clear and important differences between professional
programmers and inventive users and none of them relates to your response to
the distinction.

Check out http://www.revolutionpros.com and click on the "Views" link to
read a detailed report I wrote on this subject a few years ago for a client
and which I think applies quite clearly to RunRev in its present situation.

None of this is intended to be "disparaging" which is one of the reasons I
don't call those who are not full-time professional programmers "hobbyists"
or even "amateurs."