How to Disable the Preference and About Box Items

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Dec 1 17:25:47 EST 2005

>David Burgun wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>How do I go about disabling the Preferences and the About Box Items?
>>
>>I am running under MacOS X Tiger and I have the Preferences Item
>>defined in the edit menu. I disable the Edit Menu and the items
>>contained in it are shown as dimmed, how
>>
>>However the preferences item that is moved to the Applications
>>Stack (yet must be handled in the edit control), is not dimmed.
>
>In OS X, I don't think you can disable the Preferences menu. The OS
>doesn't allow it. Same deal for the Help menu.

I came to the same conclusion! The odd thing is that if you do
disable it in the Edit menu, it stops the menuPick message being
sent, but the items doesn't show as dimmed.

It means that you can't disable the whole of the Edit and Help menu's
just by disabling the button, which is a real pain!

Thanks a lot
Dave