Why isn't Rev more popular?

Alessandro Manotti ale870 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 07:22:18 EST 2005

I think Rev has a big potential. I'm an old user of Asymetrix Toolbook
(I used it up to version  3). It was great.
Even if I'm a analyst/programmer, I don't think the programmers
already have all the instruments. In this new age (network age), the
real missing system is a way to create rich client programs (and I
think Rev is (could be) a great competitor in this area), since even
if there is AJAX, Macromedia Flash & co, XUL, Java, etc... they have
some big problems (my opinion):

1) some of them cannot access to local PC resources
2) some of them are too much multimedia oriented (streaming, movies,
games, etc....)
3) some of them are too heavy in client-side
4) some of them are NOT multiplatform
5) some of them raise several problems for distribution (many files,
runtime environments, auto updating, etc...)

Basically Rev seems solve these problems (but DLL and ".so"
functionalities are not yet enought evolved...).
I think, talking about Rich clients (light, full-featured
applications, with a rich set of network functionalities) I think the
only one, real competitor is "Rebol" (but...).

So, I think Rev should follow the way of multimedia (but not Flash
like...) and Rich Client programs.

--Alessandro