OT--Apples Pages outputs CSS

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Aug 31 22:14:57 EDT 2005

Aloha Tom:

Pages output off CSS is very bad example -- implementation of CSS
MS programs can be worse.... the *only* decent implementation of html
export for layout programs (and I've seen out put from most all of
them over the past 10 years) is Gluon's Web Express for Quark for
anyone still using Quark and who is rigorously consistent in the use
of style sheets inside Quark itself. Web Express was/is a dream
tool...  Even Adobe still doesn't know how to do it right, for all
the hype over CS2.  (we are begging Adobe to fix this and we think
they are listening...)

Why? the key to successful use of CSS is not to use any, or as little
as possible, inline style declarations. At most, you "may" use a
minute bit in the head of the document where you need to override the
external CSS for a particular document, But the power of CSS is to
produce purely structural xhtml docs with zero presentation info (and
that includes inline CSS declarations--there is really very little
difference between <p style="font-size:12px;"> and <p><font
size="4">)  i.e. your web docs look like elegant XML and then you
literally "drive the design" from the CSS style sheet.

If you are really serious about CSS, and are just getting started, go
to the top, meet my two best friends:

1) Dan Schafer's book "HTML Utopia"
2) www.westciv.com

Don't hesitate. buy his book, and buy WestCiv's tutorials.

Also, look at the code here:

www.csszengarden.com

to see how it should be done, from the start...

Sivakatirswami

PS. That said: Pages output is  consistent...and if you like to
design in that environment, then use BBEdit and run Tidy on the
exported docs and tell TIDY to write the external CSS file for you
and clean up the doc to pure XHTML structural mark up and it will do
a good job.