Dragging from a list field

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Aug 28 21:40:49 EDT 2005

This may be very "retro" but in my own PIM I use a check box...
depends on the work flow, if your users will be "using" the stack 80%
of the time --clicking to select a line(s) and not drag it-- then
this works.. they check the box only when they want to drag...

of course, if the actions of clicking to see content and dragging to
make lists are interleaved in the usage flow, it would be a big pain,
but maybe there is some other facile way to set a flag to indicate
the field state, that would be more fluid... in one small app I use a
mouse gesture user simply waves over a button, the button change to
indicate change of state on the field, field now reacts differently..
user waves over btn again, button toggles its own name and the field
state... by avoiding the click down on the button, the use feels it
is more fluid.

IN other  contexts I use the option key down to indicate "now I'm
draggable..."