Dragging from a list field

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Aug 28 13:41:13 EDT 2005

Recently, J. Landman Gay  wrote:

> I have a list field that operates like an index; clicking on a line
> causes the stack to display content based on the text of the line.
>
> I also need the field to support drag and drop, so that users can create
> their own lists by dragging lines from the index into a different field
> in a substack.
>
> I tried setting the dragData on a mousedown in the index field, but even
> if I pass mouseDown, the index behaviors no longer function. The field
> does not recognize "mouseup" or "selectionchanged" and nothing happens.
> Actually, when I try dragging a line, the selection changes to whatever
> line the pointer is over. Does anyone have a trick for making a list
> field behave in two different ways -- that is, normal line selection as
> well as supporting dragging lines to another field?

Jacque:

I may be misunderstanding what you're trying to do but isn't mouseMove what
defines a drag action in a list?  When one clicks on the list, a selection
is created; when that same is selection is moved, that is what triggers the
drag.  Is your situation not like this?

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director