set rect of fld f1 of cd c1 of wd w1 to rect of fld f2 of cdc2 of wd w2

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Aug 26 16:28:18 EDT 2005

Lynch, Jonathan wrote:
> No way to re-use - the data is stored in custom props and displayed in
> tables. The tables are constantly deleted and created as needed. If I
> did not do this, the program could easily wind up occupying gigabites of
> ram when it is running.

If you reuse the objects there would be no additional objects cluttering
memory.

If the issue is the prop data, why not just clear the custom props when
re-using the objects?

> How does the program keep track of id counts? I would think it would be
> safe as a standalone. Surely a standalone which never saves stacks (all
> data stored externally) would not have the ability to keep a running
> track of its ids?

In my limited testing it seems the engine maintains a single record of
the last ID used, incremented when an object is created.

Since a standalone doesn't save, then you'd be safe to the degree a user
would never make more than 64000 objects in a given session (see Dick's
post about my mistake on altIDs -- only built-in IDs have a range of 2
billion; altIDs are limited to 65535).

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation