Help with webdesign (was: I need help!!!)

Marielle Lange rp011s7075 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 13:10:07 EDT 2005

> first of all Im new to html but I like learning it.I
> sometimes stay on my website looking for ways to
> improve it.but i don't make the things that are in my
> site.I want to make the template,the
> pictures,everything so I can truly say that I did my
> very own site.but I need help,because I only started
> about 4 weeks ago on html.I know theres other
> languages out there but html is cool...its practically
> unlimited to any resource.please somebody give me
> somewhere to start at.thank you.

Hi Jose,

You will find links on webdesign on the revolution-education wiki:
http://revolution.lexicall.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=TechnologiesWeb

The secret to good web-design: use of templates. For this, you need
at least CSS. Eventually CSS+PHP.

You will find plenty of CSS templates at:
http://revolution.lexicall.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=StandardsCSS

The best way to learn:
(1) Find some good tutorials (see the links above), to get a general
idea.
(2) Find inspiration (see the links above for that)
(3) Use mozilla and the toolbar that let you re-edit the css of
anypage. Download the extension "Edit CSS" at:
https://addons.mozilla.org/quicksearch.php?q=css&section=A
(4) Find good reference websites to check out. My favourite is:
http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp
(5) don't forget to use validator tools (see the links above). What
looks great on your computer may look completely awkward on other
computers (as I recently discovered for my lexicall.org website... I
had checked 6 different browsers... but then I forgot about some IE
idiosyncrasies and about 65% of the users browser the web with IE6...
that is the only browser that doesn't fully conform to the w3 standards)

Best,
Marielle

PS. Yeah, I am reading all the digests I had no time to read over the
past weeks, one after the other.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguistics, Lecturer in Psychology and
Informatics
University of Edinburgh, UK

Homepage:  http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mlange/
Lexicall project: http://lexicall.org