Saluting the Menu Maven

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Aug 26 00:11:07 EDT 2005

On 8/25/05 9:55 PM, "simplsol at aol.com" <simplsol at aol.com> wrote:

> I was out of town last Saturday when Jeanne DeVoto presented the menu
> tutorial and have just finished reading the chat log and reviewing the
> demos.
>   My first impression was "WOW!" That was also my second, third, and
> fourth impression. This was very well done, and extremely helpful. I
> wish I knew this two years ago... Anyone reading this list for a while
> will recognize that Jeanne knows her stuff, I was not surprised to see
> a high level of experience and expertise in the tutorial. More
> impressive was her ability to communicate complexities clearly, simply,
> patiently and constructively; she is a very good teacher! You might
> want to check out the tutorial even if you think you already know all
> about menus.

Paul, I just checked out Jeanne's stack and you're right, it's awesome! Way
to go Jeanne!

BTW: The only addition I'd make to what Jeanne said is that when you want to
find out what the currently selected menu item is for a menu button, you
should probably check the 'selectedText' property of the button instead of
the 'label' property. The reason I say this is that the label of a button
can be changed (for example, to truncate the selected menu item and add an
ellipsis to it so it doesn't overlap the width of the button), but the
selectedText doesn't change. Of course if you're not doing anything that
changes the label, checking the label is just as good...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com