[ANN] Shafer Media Offers Dan's Books in New Form, Upgrades Vol. 1

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Thu Aug 25 20:29:50 EDT 2005

Fellow Revolutionaries:

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY OF ANNOUNCEMENT

I know you're busy like me so I don't want to force you to wade
through six paragraphs to get to the bottom-line message. Here are
the highlights of this announcement:

* Shafer Media is now selling an updated version of my Vol. 1
"Software at the Speed of Thought" as a SmartEBook (electronic form,
other goodies included, self-updating)
* All of my Rev books will be released as SmartEBooks, effective
immediately.
* While they last, printed copies of the old Vol. 1 are available
through my store (http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html) for
$24.95 + shipping & handling, a savings of $12.05 over the old price.

Now here's the deathless prose for those inclined to indulge:

======================================

While a formal announcement will be released on Tuesday, I wanted to
give the amazing members of this iist a heads-up about some exciting
news concerning the publication of my ongoing series of books about
Revolution.

RunRev and my company, Shafer Media, have agreed that Shafer Media
will become the official press of Revolution and assume
responsibility for publishing, marketing, and distribution of the
current and future titles in my "Software at the Speed of Thought"
series, effective immediately.

At the same time, Shafer Media is announcing a new, revised and
slightly expanded version of the first volume in what was once
planned as a three-volume set of books. The new edition of that
volume is now available in electronic form only from http://
www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html. Over 100 corrections and
clarifications have been made in this new release in response to
feedback from dozens of readers. This eBook is available through the
Shafer Media Store right now for Windows and OSX for $29.95. (An OS 9
version may happen if we can resolve some technical glitches.)

Not only that (I'm starting to sound like a Ginzu knife salesman
here, I know, but there's lots to say), all of these eBooks --
including the two released topical eBooks on Rev as a CGI and Rev
Custom Properties -- are being delivered using innovative new
SmartEBooks(tm) technology. For you as a reader, this means that the
eBooks will keep themselves current automatically when you open them,
just like software does. It also means many SmartEBooks will consist
not only of PDF files but also of accompanying audio video, text, and
software code files (source and/or binary) in a single downloadable
package. For example, Volume 1 of the Rev series, when delivered as a
SmartEBook, has all of the major sample stacks and laboratory
exercises included as Rev stacks you can run, tweak, take apart, play
with, and learn from.

RunRev will continue to sell the book as a SmartEBook via their site
store. All other titles in the series will be available only through
the Shafer Media Store (http://www.shafermediastore.com).

What about printed books, you ask? Well, we still have a limited
number of copies of the print edition avaialble for sale. They, of
course, do not have the additions and corrections I made in the
second edition being released today as a SmartEBook. We plan to offer
a print-on-demand solution for those who want a hard copy of the
second edition but we are still searching for a reliable, affordable
outlet for that product. Stay tuned for another announcement soon.
Meanwhile, I'm dropping the price on the remaining printed copies
from $37 to $24.95 plus shipping & handling while supplies last,
which probably won't be long.

http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html