OT: Computer Science in today's market

Jim Bufalini yoursignup at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 21:35:53 EDT 2005

Dan,

The "several years" was late 1999 through 2001. If those were the early
days, then so be it.

Of course, using a word like outsourcing is like saying programming. There
are many different kinds. Do these companies have their own facilities
offshore like IBM and Microsoft with 3,000+ programmers each in India alone?
Or, do they have a dedicated full-time programming staff offshore? Do they
have a half dozen or so resident offshore programmers onsite on H-1 and B-1
visas?

The company we worked with had 350 programmers who admittedly were not in
love with our business model, which used them as a backend programming
resource for smaller US developers who could then convert their personnel
from programmers to consultants who would work with the actual clients,
write the specs and do the installs.

The motivation of many programmers in India is to put in 4 or 5 hard and
lean years with a company there to earn the right to travel to other
countries, where the pay is much higher and where they have a good chance of
immigration. I'd be surprised if this has changed much in 5-years.

Glowing articles aside, the realities of outsourcing are more involved
technically and culturally than appear on the surface. This is not to say it
doesn't work, but I highly doubt any client who outsources will get the kind
of quality and satisfaction that they would otherwise get from the types of
people who frequent this list.

Jim