e: MIDI externals

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Wed Aug 24 11:19:21 EDT 2005

Hi Erik,

On Aug 24, 2005, at 4:51 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> --- Ken Norris <pixelbird at interisland.net> wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Is there an external for Windows (I think
>> they're called DLL's?) that
>> will select instruments and play MIDI notes
>> instantly? Not necessarily
>> a song sequence, but a note or chord.
>
> i am working on something similar and could
> not get Shakobox for Windows to works as
> it does with Mac.

I don't think Shakobox is a solution. It's designed to play a sequence,
which is not what I need. It has to play a note or a chord instantly,
it can't hesitate. Imagine an onscreen keyboard that plays exactly like
a real piano, i.e., if you drag across the keys, it plays the note
instantly as soon as you drag into a 'key', and also stops playing a
note as soon as you drag out of a key. It can do up to 8 or 9 note
polyphony.

I'm using an external in SuperCard that accomplishes this (QuickNotes),
but, of course, it won't work on a Windows box.

All the best,
Ken N.