use-revolution Digest, Vol 23, Issue 74

Joel Guillod joel.guillod at net2000.ch
Mon Aug 22 04:25:24 EDT 2005

Mark,

I have no idea if you are hired by Runrev to write the API and
documentation for the external. So the following should possibly be
applied to Runrev. But before filling a blocking bug, let me kindly
go on your reply.
We stayed tuned since a long while but now I actually need a proper
documentation for the SDK and probably that RunRev published all the
API.
I have hired an engineer for writing specific C externals we use in
medical image processing (malignant melanoma screening). Can we make
professionnal business with Revolution or should we consider it not
for serious? Can you tell us how long we have to wait for clean API
externals and documentation? Of course you understand that I  cannot
pay workers to wait. Because I have been a first days Hypercard/
Supercard/CompileIt! user, I was confident that our development could
succeed on Revolution. Now in our development stage we urgently need
to integrate our C code in the externals for MacOSX/Windows and Linux
in a second step. This month not in October! You could reply that I
had to test the external SDK before but this is a marketing issue
from Runrev that I have trusted based on their annonced features of
Revolution. Also it would be completely unfair (possibly a legal
offence) that only restricted or selected developers can make
professional business by coding externals properly. The very
experienced engineer I hired has just droped me this note about the
external SDK: «Considering what they give, it is clear that they do
not want that people make externs...». Yes we have been able to build
something but we want to do it professionally and safely. I dont want
to have my application regularly crashed the way I experiment it with
externals I have paid for recently (this is another debate, ok)...

Well, I am still entrusting that a robust and documented solution
will be published soon. All the Revolution community will benefit
from that and this will enable Runrev to grow in consideration of
professional developers, simply considering the many external plugins
available for other competitors IDE and their success. Today let us
know the delay, please!

Sincerely,

Joel Guillod