Bad Idea To Disable an 'Edit' Menu

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Aug 20 12:39:15 EDT 2005

James Spencer wrote:
> MisterX is incorrect, this is not OS behavior.  The placement
> of the preferences item at the end of the  Edit menu and then
> moving it on OS X is pure Rev.

I think it's a matter of semantics:  It's a Rev issue only because OS X
doesn't need to support other operating systems.

Personally, I see no harm in putting menu items where customers expect
them, and much benefit in Rev doing that automatically for us.

While technically a bug, in practice it should never be an issue:  the
Mac HIG has long recommended against disabling the entire Edit menu, and
the OS X HIG suggests never disabling menus at all, only items within
the menu:

    Even if all of the items in a menu or submenu are unavailable,
    the menu or submenu title is not dimmed. The user can still
    open the menu, but all of its items are dimmed to indicate
    that these items are not available in the present context.

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGMenus/chapter_16_section_2.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000957-TP30000356-TPXREF119>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal