ISAM

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Aug 19 18:17:52 EDT 2005

Scott Kane wrote:
>>Random access of properties through array notation is lightning fast,
>>and sequential access is suitable.  Surprisingly, sequential
>>access of a
>>simple line-delimited list is about 15-20% faster, and may
>>also provide
>>a reasonable solution for tables.
>
> Cany chance of some demo code?  I'm still feeling my
> way in Rev

Depends on what you want to do.  Remember that Transcript supports what
we call chunk expressions, so you can refer to delimited items as
"items" and lines as "lines":

  set the itemDelimiter to tab
  get item 4 of line 3 of tMyData

>>I have a system I'm building which uses a mix of each, often
>>with tab-  and line-delimited tables stored in custom properties.  It's
>>reasonably fast (does a 3-criteria search at the rate of about 16k records
>
> per
>
>>second) and since it's just native Transcript my client has
>>no per-user > seat fee. :)
>

> I'd prbably need a binary format for that as I
> have notes and photo's going in...

Custom properties can store binary data.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal