resolution of Time in Rev

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Aug 19 16:25:23 EDT 2005

Mark Smith wrote:
> If it helps, 'the seconds' (like 'the time', 'the date', 'the files') is
> really a function, and can be used like:  put seconds() into tNow.

If you're prone to curmudgeonly habits you might find the function form
very useful when skimming code to help differentiate from properties.

I've never understood why the original HyperTalk designers decided to
allow property syntax for some functions, or why only some but not
others.  But in spite of their choice, we can choose to employ a
consistent style to help maintainers of our code differentiate that much
more easily.

> Incidentally, looking this up reveals that the dictionary also lists
> 'seconds' (plural) as a keyword to denote the second member of a set,
> when obviously it should be 'second' (singular).
>
> Is this the kind of thing to bz?

Yes, thanks.  It's a relatively minor clarification to note that only
the singular form should be used for ordinal references, but every small
improvement contributes to the overall learnability of the language.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal